Friday, March 20, 2009

Cao Yu

I came across this quote yesterday at a particularly apt time.

"For a writer, life is always too short to write. I will just try my best during what remains of my life." 
- Cao Yu, (Chinese Playwright)

In the past month or so, I've been feeling a great deal of despair over my inability to be as productive as I would like. Even though I write for 4-5 hours a day, I don't feel that it's enough. I find myself resenting my perfectly good job because it takes me away from my desk. I find myself resenting perfectly lovely things, like coffee with my mom, or a walk with my dad, because they take me away from my desk. This is both unhealthy and unfair to everything not my desk.

I know that I will never be able to write everything that I want to write, just as I know that I will never get to read everything I want to read, or learn everything I want to know - but that's true for everyone. I don't actually think it's possible to do it all - not well, at least. It's just that awareness of my own mortality has landed heavily this past year, and with it came realization of something that I'd only intellectually known: I am going to die with list of experiences left un-had. And that's ok, because it has to be. All I can do is "try my best during what remains of my life." 

And with that in mind, I'm going to end this post and get back to work :-)

2 comments:

  1. I am TOTALLY like that about my painting. I have LISTS and sketchbooks filled with images and ideas and thumbnails for paintings, and I know I will never get them all done, and that if I do, they will not be as good as I know they can be. It helps me to have a small sketchbook to carry around with me, that way even though I might not even ever crack it open on the trip or the outing (I have even taken sketch books to dinner and a movie), I at least have it if I want or need it. Maybe if you got a small notepad to stick in your purse it would help?
    Loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got one for that very reason, and it really does help... but not nearly enough :D

    ReplyDelete