Sunday, August 9, 2009

Julie & Julia

James took me to see Julie & Julia this week-end, and I have only one thing to say.

It's lovely.

Julie & Julia is lovely and charming and so feel-goodable, which is not my normal thing, but it was so delightful that it was almost impossible to be cynical about it. Amy Adams was good as the insufferable yet adorable protagonist, the guy that plays her supportive, long suffering husband was lovely, Stanley Tucci was wonderful as Paul Child, and Meryl Streep was genuinely fantabulous as Julia Child.

One thing that I especially liked about the film, and I admit that this is a bit random, was that all of the men, from Julie's husband to Paul Child to Julia Child's instructor at the Cordon Bleu, were all portrayed as generally amiable, supportive men. Any nastiness portrayed in the movie was done by women, to women, and while this is nothing to celebrate per se, it was good to see men portrayed nicely in a movie written for a predominantly female audience.

I'm very glad we spent the money to see Julie & Julia in the theater, and I'm very glad I went with James, my own wonderful, supportive husband. It was a lovely date movie, and I even got something out of it culinarily: I now have a serious ambition to learn how to de-bone a duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment