Thursday, September 24, 2009

Duncan Buried the Pearls!

This will mean nothing to anyone, but I'm really relieved.

I've been working on a short story, "Duncan Merriman Buries His Wife," off and on for over a year. This is ages too long, even for me. Among the many, many problems this story has had is the amazing flip-flopping ending. It was almost as if Duncan didn't know what he wanted to do. Of course, this means that I didn't know him well enough and/or I wasn't listening.

Anyway, there is a pearl necklace that Duncan could either bury at his wife's grave, or keep with the implication that he might, one day, give it to a new love. One draft he would bury. The next he would keep it. On and on this went, burying and unburying the damn thing, but every time it was buried or kept, it never felt right. Until today.

I've been editing the final version for a deadline of October 1st, and still the ending fell flat. So, I chucked the final page and wrote it by hand. And for some reason, this time, it worked. Duncan buried the pearls, and burying the pearls was the exact right thing to do. I'm so happy I could throw something!

I know it probably sounds weird to refer to Duncan as if he were a separate, real person instead of a character I made up. Writing this story has been difficult for me - it's required skill that I have had to develop and an understated emotionality that I've never used before. After all of this time spent figuring his story out, Duncan is real to me, and I'm going to feel strange when the edits are finally done. But now that I know that he has his ending, I'll be able to let him go more easily.

Hooray!

Now I'm going to go throw something.

4 comments:

  1. poor wasted pearls, but at least Duncan can FINALLY move on

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously.. except that I'm so burned out that I'm putting him in a drawer for a couple of weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madeline

    Pleased you liked the Victorian History Blog. And, yes, I will be putting a lot of stuff up in early 2010. Before then I have a trip to Europe and a Summer School to run. If you are interested see: http://summerschools.tassie.org for the latter and I will be expanding my travel blog at http://april-in-paris.blogspot.com while I am in France during November and December. By the way, I can be reached at bruce@tassie.org.

    Cheers
    Bruce Rosen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bruce,

    Thank you so much! I'll look forward to reading about your travels and to more Victorian History in early 2010. I hope your time in France this winter is lovely!

    Best,
    Madeleine

    ReplyDelete