Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Lamb Cake


When James was little, his mom made a lamb cake every Easter. She made it using a cast iron cake mold in the shape of a lamb, which she then frosted and sprinkled with fleecy coconut. My mom really liked the idea, so this year, for my nephew's first Easter, my mom bought a lamb cake mold and I made a fleecy lamb cake! Here's a picture of the two of us. 
The lamb cake can be made with a standard box mix, but I love to bake so I made the batter from scratch. It was a pretty standard white cake and surprisingly tasty (sometimes white cakes can be really bland). Still, next year I'm going for red velvet cake for a somewhat bolder effect :). While the cake was made from scratch, I went ahead and used store-bought vanilla ic
ing after my initial attempt with whipped cream failed (it melted and soaked into the cake too quickly). The fleece is, of course, shredded coconut, while the eyes are M&M's and the nose is a small pink jelly bean. 

Rather than having the lamb sit on the somewhat traditional green coconut grass, I surrounded it with little Easter Bunny Nests - macaroons with jellybeans nestled in the middle (I used the recipe from The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper which I did a post on here).

Overall, I've got to say that it was pretty tasty, which is nice since this particular cake's real purpose is to be really, really cute - which, I have to say it was, sitting there on the platter, all sweet and innocent and adorable as a, well, lamb.





5 comments:

  1. That is SO cool! My mom used to make us shaped cakes when we were little, but nothing like that. How adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had shaped cakes as a kid so it was really neat to make one - it kind of makes me want to run out and get other molds and take a cake decorating class :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch those shows like "Ace of Cakes" and think that it would be super cool to take a cake decorating class. I think that would be a fun thing to know how to do. But then I look at all the dishes in the sink after I make something and decide that I would rather paint than do dishes. :) But I still think it would be neat to know how to do. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mads, this may be a bit out of left field, but I came across a book you might appreciate(given your love of adorable oddities and DIY craftiness) while at work and thought I'd pass it on:
    Stupid Sock CreaturesLove!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, the title alone is worth checking out - thank you much and love back :-)

    ReplyDelete