Sunday, April 19, 2009

facebook

So, James and I joined facebook last night. We might be the last people on the planet to join a social networking site, but then we're not exactly social. Anyway, it's a very strange thing - we joined basically so we could see pictures of our niece in Texas (lovely) and our nephew (ever so handsome), which is a good thing and well worth it. 

What's strange is that as soon as I joined, and with very limited information, facebook bombarded me with tons of people I had gone to high school and college with, including my estranged maid-of-honor who hit on my brother at our wedding in front of his lovely fiance (she also happened to be a bridesmaid). This was a kind of discomfiting, even as regards all of those people who hadn't acted like tools at our wedding. 

For the most part, my discomfiture is nothing personal, just sort of a crisis of relevance thing. It's very easy to feel that, because you've moved on with your life, all of those people you've moved on without have somehow ceased to exist. The blatant reminder that, no in fact, they don't, was interesting and weird and surreal and probably very good for me. Still won't keep me from locking down access on my personal information though. Like I said, I'm not so terribly social :-)

8 comments:

  1. I don't usually communicate a lot on facebook either, for much the same reason. I do play the Hatchlings game because I think the eggs are so pretty and I like to look for them, and I take the tests, so, basically, I get on there to be totally antisocial. ;) Besides, I feel like I have two blogs and NOW a deviant art account plus an art website (that needs to seriously be redone) so if anyone wants to know what's going on with me, they can check those out or email me. Not to mention that there are a lot of people I went to school with on facebook that I don't really want or need to talk to anymore because I feel we drifted apart for a reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you on every single one of those points. Hey, we can be antisocial together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I'll make the lemonade and tea if you make the cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you're not the last to do this, but there is a difference between being anti-social and exposing your life for others to see. I'm plenty social, but I'm private about it which is why places like Facebook are not for me. Besides, if I want to send pictures (such as embarrassing pics of Jim from his halcyon military school days) that's what email is for. :)

    (Jim, you know where to send the payments)

    In my opinion anyway for what little it is worth. Facebook and these other things are tools - use them if you feel comfortable doing so and if they work for you. If not, drop them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll admit it, I used to be a facebook ADDICT, but now I find myself going for long periods of time without logging in. It makes me feel like I've accomplished something, being able to do without for some period of time. Have fun with the facebook, it can be a blast (and a nuisance!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maddie, I haven't added you as a friend on facebook because of your post. :) I didn't want you to think I was just ignoring you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw! That's super considerate, but really, definitely add me as a friend. I just want real friends in my friend file, not people I ate lunch with once in high school :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are added, you just have to click to say you like me, you really like me....oh..ehm. Hi. ;) Ignore that badly done Sally Field impression.. ;)

    ReplyDelete