Thursday, May 7, 2009

Drafting

I'm drafting a new short story right now. This part of the process is never easy for me. I can edit a piece for eight hours at a stretch and often do, but generating new material is exhausting - and this is with the jots and notes and outlines and thoughts that I write before hand. I drafted today for a little over three hours and had to take a nap, which frustrates me but I was cross-eyed. 

They, whoever "they" are, say that there are two kinds of writers - those who love the creative burst, for whom revision is something like death, and those who create in revision. I'm one of the latter. In fact, I could honestly say that one of the largest reasons I write is so that I'll have something to edit. 

There really isn't much of a point to this post, I suppose - except, of course, as a cleverly evasive form of procrastination. And so on that note, I'm going to go make myself something to edit.

1 comment:

  1. Heh, I tend to be the creative burst sort (which is why some of my food stories have typos, punctuation errors, etc and so forth) but since I read them out loud I can just auto correct because I know what they are supposed to say. And that is probably why I paint instead of try to write seriously like you do. (Other than I am not very good, but that is beside the point, eh? ;) )
    I am sorry this part of the process is hard for you, but I know you'll have something good to edit soon. Loves you!

    ReplyDelete