Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fail

So, it's really been one of those days. First, I promised my mom that I would make my dad a birthday cake today. The request was for "something with apricots". I thought, hey no problem. So no problem in fact that I waited until the last minute to make it. Well, I don't know if it was because it was really hot today and I have trouble with everything when it's really hot, or if it's because my oven likes to play tricks with temperature or if the pastry gnomes were just feeling mean, but the cake, while not a total failure, wasn't great - too dark on the outside, a smidge under-done on the inside, ok on flavor, but on texture a total thumbs down. Not thrilled with the results for my dad's birthday, given the occasion, I decided to make a second one just in case. By now I was really rushing because we were officially running late. So I make the batter for the second cake (different recipe, similar idea) and took the batter in the cake mold to my mom's house to bake. Now, my mom has a bitchin' pro-quality Thermadore set up, so I was thinking there was no way this was going to fail. It did. Total fail. And why? Completely overdone on the outside, underdone on the inside. It sucked. We ended up eating the first cake. So, ok, whatever. It happens.

Then we get home and waiting for me in my email in box is a lovely letter from a lovely editor who happens to be a bad-ass in world of children's book publishing. She read the manuscript that I'd sent her, and while she thinks that there's much in the way of good about it, it will be nearly impossible to market it, especially in this economy. Fail. 

So, I've had a less than stellar day, which makes me really fucking irritable because I don't like failing at anything. In fact, I loathe failing. And it's been a day full of fail, which sucks. So me and my bruised ego are going to go to bed so we can get up and do it again tomorrow, hopefully with less fail.

2 comments:

  1. It might have been an esthetic fail, but it (the original) was full of win where taste was concerned. And it was beautiful to boot.

    So put that in yer pipe and smoke it, missy!

    ReplyDelete