Monday, February 23, 2009

Treacle in a Can

James and I live near a great local grocery store called PW. They have a lovely cheese counter, good selection of wine and beer, pretty good breads, nice produce and a fairly impressive imports aisle which houses treats from Great Britain like imported Earl Grey tea, digestive biscuits and treacle-pudding-in-a-can. Now what, you may be wondering, the hell is treacle? It sounds like an inner-ear infection.... James and I sort of wondered the same thing, so we picked up a can of Heinz Treacle Pudding to try, just for kicks. 

Treacle, it turns out, is syrupy sugar-juice . The closest comparison would be to American molasses, except that treacle is much more cloyingly sweet and limp wristed. Now, what came out of the Heinz can was interesting. Because treacle pudding is pudding in the British sense, (meaning a sort of spongy cake), and not the stuff that Jell-O made famous, it needed to be steamed before serving. After a quick 2 minutes covered in the microwave, and we were set to go.

Now, I have to admit that I felt sort of bad sticking a fork into it - it was bright orange and had that same spongy quality that Muppet food has, and Muppet food can talk and burst into song and I really didn't want this treacle pudding to do that. Then I took a bite and I kind of wished it would - at least then it would have been interesting. The sponge cake was admirably spongy but the treacle was SWEET (tm), and that's about all I can say for it.

So, here's what I've taken away from the experience. Even canned, I really like British puddings - I think steamed cakes are tasty, don't ask me why. Treacle-in-a-can however, should be avoided. In fact, perhaps all forms of dessert-in-a-can might should be avoided. That said, I'm curious to know what a homemade treacle dessert would taste like, so I'm mining recipes. So after all of that, I have a new project in the kitchen, which is pretty ok for the price of a can of treacle.

5 comments:

  1. We bought Treacle in a can (not the pudding, the actual treacle) awhile back from a huge international market. Treacle is for all practical purposes just molasses, maybe a little stronger in flavor. I used it in Gingerbread waffles - not a desert exactly but really quite good. I can send you the recipe if you're interested.

    All that aside it was a huge mess trying to get that stuff out of the can. I think that's why I prefer molasses in a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. Every time I hear about treacle, I think about terry Pratchett's Treacle Mine Road in Ankh-Morpork with the old dysfunctional treacle mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wild images of bright orange cake with green fronds for hair, singing about how yummy they are, and then laughing when you are not at all impressed with their taste....

    ReplyDelete
  4. drteine - I would love the recipe, thanks! I've gotta admit that my curiosity is really piqued about the stuff. I suspect it could be delicious in a non-canned dessert application :)

    mexalapotis - I would have totally paid twice as much for treacle pudding that did all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll email you the recipe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete